Kwame A. Mark Freeman was on the faculty of the University of Massachusetts Boston in both the College of Public and Community Service and the Department of Africana Studies. Dr. Freeman has worked as a health care researcher in the Republic of Uganda, East Africa, and as a consultant to the Cape Verdean Government in West Africa. Dr. Freeman was also a project manager for the Executive Office for Environmental Affairs for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Robert Johnson Jr. is Emeritus Professor of African Studies at the University of Massachusetts Boston. He is a playwright and an attorney. He is the author of Race, Law and Public Policy (3rd edition) and author of eight of academic books; 15 plays, including Stop and Frisk, and Patience of Nantucket; ten academic articles; and one novel: African Revival: My Love!
KWAME A. MARK FREEMAN
INFORM THE AUDIENCE OF THE CONTEXT OF THE PRESENTATION:
THE EVOLVING NATURE OF THE DISCIPLINE OF AFRICAN-AMERICAN STUDIES IN THE ACADEMY.
- INTERDISCIPLINARY FOCUS
THE “TAKEAWAYS”: WHAT WE WANT THE AUDIENCE TO TAKEAWAY FROM THE PRESENTATION.
- DISCUSS FEDERAL AND STATE LAWS THE WERE NOT ENFORCED.
- CRIMINAL VIOLATIONS
- BRUTALITY AGAINST BLACK PEOPLE
- PERSISTENCE OF THE SOCIAL INJUSTICES
- DISCUSS THE INJUSTICES SINCE 1855
- INTRODUCTORY COMMENTS: SHOW ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS SLIDE
EMPHASIZE THE IMPORTANCE OF THE POLITICAL “ERAS” IN AMERICAN HISTORY.
STATE THE FOUR CRITICAL AREAS OF AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY THAT HAD A STRONG IMPACT ON WHAT BLACKS COULD AND COULD NOT DO.
- BLACK RECONSTRUCTION 1866-1877
- JIM CROW ERA 1877- EARLY/MID 1960’s
- THE FEDERAL CIVIL RIGHTS ACT OF 1871
- THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT 1954-1968
- THE CONTEMPORARY ERA IN THE FIGHT AGAINST INJUSTICE: THE AGE OF SOCIAL MEDIA IN ADVANCING SOCIAL JUSTICE.
- THE U.N. HUMAN RIGHTS COMMITTEE ARTICLES 22-26 OF THE INTERNATIONAL COVENANT ON CIVIL AND POLITICAL FIGHTS RATIFIED BY THE U.S. IN 1992
DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING:
- IMPLICIT BIAS
- UNCONSCIOUS ASSOCIATIONS WHEN IN THE COMPANY OF BLACKS.
- DRUG ARREST
- TRAFFIC STOPS
WHY I USED THE YEAR 1991 AS THE ‘JUMP OFF P0INT’ FOR THE CONTEMPORARY FIGHT AGAINST SOCIAL INJUSTICE.
TALK ABOUT THE ORIGINS OF THE BLACK LIVES MATTER MOVEMENT
SHOW YOU-TUBE VIDEO OF ONE OF THE FOUNDERS OF THE BLACK LIVES MATTER MOVEMENT.
DISCUSS THE SCIENCE OF RACISM — “DRAPETOMANIA”
Insert Powerpoint Presentation